Monday, August 8, 2011

fishing for goons

The profile pic I put up is a picture I drew a long time ago. It's called, 'Fishing for Goons.' It depicts me as a fisherman and you hanging upside down on some fish-hanging pole. I use the stick figure medium because it requires no color or shading or any other art-like nonsense.

My girlfriend keeps telling me that the definition of art is subjective. Why? Why can't stick figures be art? I also disagree with the idea that art is open for interpretation. If I draw a picture, it is what I tell you it is, nothing else. Although I used to draw some crazy, abstract things in high school and had a teacher ask for one, once. She pointed out a part that looked exactly like a cat lying down, from above. It was a perfect rendition of a non-abstract thing and I drew it unintentionally and could never do it again if I tried.

I can draw roses. I call them stick roses. I also often draw the sun laughing at me. I hate that guy.

My point is that stick figures and abstract, amoeba-like blobs are all I can draw and, whether you like it or not, it's art.

1 comment:

  1. Art is subjective. That's the beauty of it. If you think it's art...then it's art. Everyone may not agree, but that's the beauty of art. I write songs and a person told me how one song really helped them with the death of their beloved family member...but I really wrote it about some difficult relationship breakup I was going through when I was young and stupid. But, hey...if it helps them deal with their problem, then awesome. Who am I to crush that hope?

    ReplyDelete